Tabs

Sunday, February 26, 2012

What's cookin' good lookin'?

My little helper..
I was off this week on February vacation. It was so nice to be home, spending my days with William and hanging out in jammies most of the time. We snuggled, read books and played with cars and blocks. It will be very hard to go back to work this week but knowing that summer is right around the corner will help me get through. I feel so lucky to have summers off to spend with my little guy.

With all this new found time, I was able to do some cooking. I made some food for friends who just had babies (yay!) baked cookies and brownies and got creative with a recipe for William. William LOVES sweet potatoes. Seriously, his skin should match his hair. He would eat an entire sweet potato if I let him. He's 10 1/2 months and is pretty much only eating finger foods now. If you try to spoon feed him anything you have to do the classic distract-baby-with-airplane-noise as you sneak the spoon in his mouth, otherwise, he grabs the spoon and the food goes everywhere.

William has not had much meat so I thought I'd flavor it with some familiar tastes to get him to try it. And that's how my oatmeal, sweet potato, apple, turkey meatballs originated. They were super easy and a good way to use any left over baby cereal.

I used:
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1/2-3/4 c. oatmeal cereal
1/4 c unsweetened apple sauce
1 large cooked sweet potato mashed

Combine all the above adding more or less cereal to get desired stickiness. Roll into 1" balls and bake on a foil lined cookie sheet. You can grease the cookie sheet with oil/pam if you wish, they do tend to get stuck. I decided not to add any oil to this recipe. You can also add eggs/milk if desired, but I made these with out allergens since William has possible food allergies. Bake for 30 min at 350. Once cooled can freeze in ziplocks and keep for a few months. Easy meal for a kiddo.

Here they are before baking:

And during:

And after: Voila!

Sorry, I'm no food photographer. And I used the iphone, I was too lazy to get out the real camera. That seems to be the trend these days.
Here's the real proof that they're tasty!

2 comments:

  1. Must be a Roache thing to climb in dishwashers and love sweet potatoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really really enjoyed your visit (and cooking!!!)

    ReplyDelete