Tabs

Monday, January 31, 2011

Kitchen Update #112

Here's a picture tour of the recent updates to the kitchen.

Insulation, check


Sheetrock up, check


Widen the doorway to the second floor, check


Granite countertops, che... woah sorry, getting a little ahead of myself there.

Off to deliberate between twenty colors of gray for the walls. I'm all ready over the green/blue color. The kitchen needs something more sophisticated. Picking a gray is harder than you think. And only have a few more days to choose. Hopefully being stuck inside in the igloo during snowpocalypse 2011 will give me time to make a final decision.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Snowed in, again!

We've had three Nor'easters here in New England and it's only January! This is my third snow day off from teaching. It's given me some extra time to get some things done around the house while Dave shovels.
Here's the new baby mobile (not to be confused with this baby mobile).

Oh and there's our house, er, somewhere...

Last snow day I worked on making canvases for the nursery. I poked around Michaels and ACMoore and found out that on sale, I'd spend 12 or 15 each on a blank canvas. I needed four canvases and spending $60 on something that I was just going to cover with fabric made no sense. Then last week I was in Christmas Tree Shop and found these lovely canvases at $1.99 a pop.
What, a rooster doesn't immediately scream nursery to you? I scooped up four of them, total cost $8. Done and done.

The only issue I had with buying already painted canvases was that you could see the rooster through the fabric I chose to cover them with. The easy solution was to use some scrap white material I had laying around to cover the canvas. I first needed to iron it.

Then used a staple gun to attach it to the back of the canvas.

Next I cut the fabric into squares and folded and stapled it around the frame. To make the corners seamless, I folded the material just like you would when wrapping a present. I used some of the Boodalee Fabric that I got on the cheap at Zulilly as well as some Dwell Fabric from Jo-Ann..

Here's the first one:

I repeated the process on all of the canvases and here's how they turned out!

Friday, January 21, 2011

so much for a diy headboard

I had big plans of making a diy headboard, by copying this method. Dave was very wiling to help, but now that the house is torn apart and we have a long way to go, making a diy headboard was not exactly on the top of the list. Also, as I started looking into it more I learned that we wouldn't save that much money trying to make the headboard ourselves after paying for the material, wood and supplies. The Apartment Therapy link showed that it cost $110 to make. I did some online shopping and found one on Target for not much more and the added plus, I don't have to make it!

We've never had a headboard on our bed in the 5 years we've lived together. In the condo we didn't have room for a bed frame, so just used the metal frame.


Now that we have a new bedroom set, we really needed to add some maturity to our room with a headboard. There is something about not having a headboard that screams bachelor pad or college apartment. The room seemed to be really missing something. Another thought was that with a headboard, I can sit up in bed and nurse if I need to once the baby arrives. See what I mean? It just looks bare. We almost ordered the bed frame that went with our bedroom set, but when we measured, we'd only have a few inches to squeeze through at the end of the bed. So that's why a headboard made the most sense.
Without further ado, here it is.


I think it really pulls the room together! The one problem with ordering something online is that the colors do not always look the same in person. I thought the headboard was going to be a different color, so that it would contrast more with the wall. At this point, I am not about to take it down, re-package it and send it back. Guess it's here to stay. I'm still learning how to use the camera, bear with me people.
Now off to diy some art for the nursery!

Monday, January 17, 2011

House Updates

The kitchen is at a stand still until the inspector comes to inspect the plumbing and electrical work that has been done so far. So here's what it looks like, nothing to really see, but at least it's progress!


Dave put in a new back door. Oh and in the process found lots and lots of rot, so he had to replace all the wood around the door.

Here's the new window. We moved it over so that we'd have more room for a corner cabinet.


On another note, the attic is gutted. Eventually it will be finished to be a play room and third bedroom. Beautiful isn't it?



Oh and while I'm at it, I should show you the basement. Here's the laundry room before:


And now. Good bye wall:

Oh and Dave ripped apart the basement too. The dumpster is full and ready to be hauled away,but there is something kinda in the way of that right now.


So that's all for now. Not much to look at, hopefully there will be soon!

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cozy Up!

Our living room is mighty cozy these days now that we installed a gas fireplace. Wood prices are extremely expensive right outside of Boston, not to mention it takes a lot of work to lug the wood inside every time you want a fire. Without further ado,
here's a WAY before photo:



Here's a before of the dirty, dirty fireplace that we never ended up needing to clean!


And after!



We have plans to replace the red tile with black granite, but that will have to wait. We've got more important things like, er, the kitchen. The fireplace comes with a remote that allows you to set the temperature in the room, it's pretty nice! Since we got the fireplace we've turned the heat off in the rest of the house since we spend most of our time in the living room anyway. Who knows what our gas bill will be like this month.