Tabs

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Nursery "Mood Board"

I use the 'mood board' term lightly, since I don't have the capability to make an actual mood board. If you read any design blogs, you know what a mood board is. Mood boards are basically collages of items such as photographs, sketches, clippings, fabric swatches and color samples that designers make for clients to get an idea of what a room would look like. I don't have photoshop or any program in which to make a sleek display of my nursery finds. So I had to make do with what I did have, Microsoft word. Not the best program to use, however, not the worst either.

Here's a real mood board:


And here's my lame attempt at one:


We found out we're having a boy! So out with any frilly pink dreams I had for the room, in with the rough and tough blue.
1. I found the blue/green/grey fabric on Zulily (my new fave site to get mama and kid items on the cheap), that I'll use to make pillows for the chair and a bed skirt.

2. I'm loving these numbered cards from Land of Nod. I'm thinking of hanging them on some wall shelves.

3. I've had my eye on this modern crib for a while. I like the two-toned wood and the white will brighten up the room since I already have two dark wood dressers we'll continue to use in the room.

4. I would love to have a comfy upholstered glider like this one from Pottery Barn Kids. I'm not loving the 1K price tag, since that's the budget for the entire room. Any ideas on where to get a white fabric chair on the cheap, I'm all ears!

5. I have looked everywhere for an eco-friendly rug for the nursery. Rugs made out of non-natural materials leak vocs that are very dangerous for babies and are even linked to SIDS. I coudln't find a rug I liked, so I designed one on Flor in the colors of my choice!

6. I like idea of a hanging pendant for lighting, but I'm not so sure about the brown. I may try to find another color or light all together.

So there you have it. I'm planning on doing some DIY art work by covering large canvases with fabric or wrapping paper to hang over the crib. Details to come later!

And all of this is merely an idea right now since our nursery is still a storage unit. It now has even more stuff in it since Dave ripped apart the basement and attic and anything that was in those two rooms are now housed in the nursery. ((ugh))

No comments:

Post a Comment