Tabs

Friday, April 30, 2010

Two is better than one


I bought a curtain way before we even bought a house hoping that it would work in the new place. The problem was that I could only buy "a curtain." I bought the one when I had the chance hoping that some store would have one but apparently, I bought the last medallion window pannel from West Elm in the entire north east.




What the heck was I going to do with one curtain? I figured I'd have to return it. Then I started to think, maybe I could make two out of one. WE makes their curtains pretty wide so I thought it may be worth a try. And if not, hey it would only be a $24.99 loss (good buy eh?) I also bought a double curtain rod so that I would have set of curtains showing behind the cut-in-half curtain. Only problem is that I have no idea how to sew! I bought some fabric scissors and this tape stuff that you can make a hem with an iron and I was good to go.



I measured, and it was 48" across, so I had to cut down the middle at 24." I can't cut a straight line if my life depended on it, and I didn't want to draw a line and ruin the fabric. So what did I do, just started cutting up the middle through the medallions, they weren't exactly on the 24" line, but oh well.





And then there were two.. I ended up not even hemming the jagged edges because they are facing the wall side of the window and no one will see them (hopefully).

Ta-Da!!



There you have it, two is better than one! Oh and if you're wondering what we did for the blinds behind, they're just cheap bamboo blinds. I wanted something with color instead of the white ones we have in the rest of the house. Plus they make the window look larger when you hang them outside of the window frame. Thanks YHL for the idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment